A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

JulNo Progress and Quotes!

I had a day off from the library today, so I basically spent my time doing a number of small things. I finished up the backlog of reviews that I needed to write for the books I've read, so those are posted. Then I finished up my calculus studying, and I started reviewing for physics. Yep, I'm counting the review books as things I've read, because I have sunk a lot of time into 'em, and they're books. I'll probably fail even more miserably at the 100 book goal if I don't include them, so there. Nyeh nyeh. ;)

Besides some gross personal things that you--the Internet--don't need to hear about, not much else happened today. What can I say? I'm a slobby, lazy person in the summer. I did, however, spend a bunch of time perusing Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, and that was a lot of fun. It made me remember how much I love Emerson, namely A LOT. But I also found a bunch of quotes I decided to copy down, and some even for my novel!

Probably you know this already, but it's like a tradition with me to do JulNoWriMo every year, each time with a new novel, since 2009. I'm well-aware that I'm a fairly pretentious person. (I love that I say that with a pretentious statement. Heh. :) So it's no understatement when I say that most of what I've written previously for JulNo's and NaNo's has been fairly shitty and overblown. That is why this summer I decided I wanted to do something entirely different. I want to try to break the mold of what I've done before, you know?

But back to Bartlett. I found a ton of quotes that I liked for my novel, to either be integrated or included in the epigraph at the beginning. And, best of all, I found myself a title! Yeah!

I'm going to be calling my piece The Shadow of the Daisy.  It's after the following Wordsworth quote:

Small service is true service while it lasts:
Of humblest friends, bright creature! scorn not one:

The daisy, by the shadow that it casts,

Protects the lingering dewdrop from the sun.
--Wordsworth, To a Child: Written in Her Album
What's best about it is that it actually plays fairly well to one of the main aspects of the novel I'm planning. More details on that in a future blog post, I think. But now for more quotes I liked that are related to the novel!

To different minds, the same world is a hell, and a heaven.
--Ralph W. Emerson, Journal: December 20, 1822
He discovereth deep things out of the darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death.
--Job 12:22
A corner draft fluttered the flame
And the white fever of temptation
Upswept its angel wings that cast
A cruciform shadow.
--Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago
Out of the dusk a shadow,
    Then a spark;
Out of the clouds a silence,
    Then a lark;
Out of the heart a rapture,
    Then a pain;
Out of the dead, cold ashes,
    Life again.
--John Banister Tabb, Evolution
Why, yes, it is a fairly dark piece, why do you ask? Anyway, hope you enjoyed those quotes. If you'll excuse me, I should be getting to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment